East Isles Pearls

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:31:18 EST

To All:

Just finished watching part of a show on creatures with shells. In talking about oysters and pearls, they said that some Chinese used to take tiny clay figurines of Buddha and put them into oysters. The oyster would do its usual thing, and then the people would harvest little Buddha-shaped pearls.

It struck me that this would be especially cool for the East Isles, where each of the islands worships a different deity. Not all of them would do this, of course, but I could see hundreds of them putting images of their god into oysters, and then selling, trading, or giving away the tiny pearl icons.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com