Kethaelan Borders and Teshnos

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 13:21:09 +1300 (NZDT)

Frederic Ferro:

>What was the frontier between the GLs and the EWF ?

Ooo, a big question. Restricting my speculations to Kethaela.

>The God Learners had Slontos and many parts of Kethaela.
>The Empire of Wyrmophiles must have controlled the Valley of Beasts
>and the Dragon River but do we know the limit of these two powers
>in the Second Age ? Was the Plateau of Darkness independant ?

Caladraland is known to have been controlled by the God Learners through the cult of Caladra and Aurelion. The relevant map in Trollpak depicts the Machine City as being part of the God Learner Empire but seems to show Heortland as being part of the Empire. This last datum is suspect IMO but Heortland may have been a temporary conquest.

There are numerous recorded clashes (cf the glorantha book) between God Learners and Draconists in Nochet City. This implies that Nochet city was an trading enclave for one and that the countryside belonged to the other. Since Vistikos Left-eye learns how to speak Auld Wyrmish from the "God Learners"* in Nochet and there is also a Malkioni Bishop there, I think the God Learners had an enclave of sorts in Nochet which was near impossible for either the EWF or the Only Old One to dislodge. Cells of Zistorites are spoken of in KoS, p95.

A God Learner invasion of the shadowlands is noted in 826 ST which incurred the response of the EWF. This is probably referred to in the following passage from KoS:

        "One day Zistor the Destroyer showed up, in person, to
        help in the invasion of Esrolia.  It was a huge monster,
        made of gleaming metal and wires, which tore down the
        walls of cities"
                        KoS p95.

Frustratingly the outcome of this war is not known but I suspect from the riots of 886 ST, that the borders remained at the Status Quo.

[*] I deliberately put God Learners in quotes because although the source (the glorantha book) says they are God Learners, the date 573 ST is very early for the God Learners. However from Geolgin's report in the Troll Gods handout, we know there was some trouble with the Slontan Marines early in the seventh century or late in the sixth but the outcome of that war is unknown.

My guess is that much of the original malkioni impact (after Arkat) in Kethaela was through the Archduchy of Slontos. This later began attached to the orbit of the God Learners.

>I re-read the Zistor saga in Trollpack, in Genertela and in KoS but
>I didn't find any date for the Ten Year Siege of the Machine City.
>I presume it was in the Xth century, after the sinking of the
>Western Armada. Was the EWF involved against this ?

The machine city falls in the same year as the Windless Typhoon. This is a magical disaster that affected Ralios in 917 ST so the start of the Machine City wars was in 907 ST. By the mention of the Elder Races being unified, I suspect that the Dragonewts were involved in this battle and thus regard it as probable that the EWF was involved.

Jean Durupt:

>I would have thought that the priest of Furalor did not need a torch to
>transport the fire from the pyre to the boy's body. He could have used
>his bare hands instead.

True, but he needed to stick the fire down the boy's throat. Having such big hands and only a little boy poses some practical problems, methinks. He _could_ do open heart surgery a la "Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom" and put the flame in but I think he would have to be a powerful priest to do that.