farming

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 18:58:32 -0800

Allen Wallace wrote about farming:

>Im sorry if Im a bit touchy on the subject, but Ive
>seen too much good land destroyed by people who "knew better" than to
>listen to all those ignorant superstions. I suspect this is part of why I
>avoid the "close to the land" games, too close to too many old "wounds".

Well, for what it is worth - the Taming of Dragon Pass campaign is filled with superstitions regarding agriculture and herding. I'm going to let y'all into a secret - the notorious SFC "farming" campaign isn't really about farming - it is about clan life. Farming, herding, etc. dominates player economics (although raids and war are important too), but most of what happens is good solid saga material. BTW, it is also the "highest level" campaign I've ever run - the player characters include the clan chief, the clan priestess, the clan priest/lawspeaker and the clan champion. It also has more local heroquesting than I've ever seen before.  Nonetheless, characters are motivated by issue of family, clan and making sure the damn cattle are safe.

>Pity about that, the Seattle Farmers Coalition seemed like interesting
folk, and quality players.

Thanks, but, uh, what the pity about?

>We are dealing with FANTASY here, no one can possibly be right or wrong.
Not even Greg or Sandy or >the Seattle Farmers Collective. All anyone can do is cite the history of a non-magically active world, or >what works for them. If you dont agree you dont have to, but that doesnt mean that they are wrong.

Oh, I can be wrong - I'm pretty darn sure of that. :)

Jeff