Horse-loving daughter

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:20:17 EST

Pasanen Panu <passo_at_students.cc.tut.fi> Orlanth's daughter(s) and Humakti warbands

Jane Williams>> Here's a thought for you: we know Elmal joined Orlanth's

>>household by
>> marrying his "horse-loving daughter". Sounds like the Orlanthi had a
>> horse-goddess at one stage. What was her name? (And don't say
>>"Hippoi":
>> she's even less a child of Orlanth than Elmal is).

> Orlanth's daughters are not necessarily gods! Heck, Orlanth Adventurous
> (or should I say Amorous) had most of the Godtime to sire children,
> and he most likely did, too. Elmal might have joined before Orlanth's
> marriage with Ernalda, and the lady Orlanth was with at that time
> died or just left him. The girl propably had her way with animals,
> but that is not the same thing as being a horse goddess. God Learners
> might have later joined the two, daughter and Hippoi.

A lot of discussion occurred a couple of months ago, can't remember if it was on the Digest or off, about linking Redaylda, the daughter of Vinga (see that fine fanzine, Enclosure), with King of Sartar's mention of Orlanth's "horse-loving" daughter.

I agree with that theory, and think it is also very likely that she was just a woman at the time. However, I agree with Passo that over time this semi-deity would have been linked with the semi-foreign (?) horse goddess called Hippoi, so that now Redalda would be the actual horse goddess of the Dragon Pass Orlanthi.

MOB -- Great "Notes from Nochet" in Digest #247!! :)

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com