GLs/EWF in Kethaela

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 97 18:31 MET

Frederic Ferro asked about the EWF in Kethaela
>What was the frontier between the GLs and the EWF ?

None defined, really. The Kingdom of Night, or whatever was left of it, served as a buffer state.

As I see the relations between EWF and Kingdom of Night, there may have been draconic thinkers in the KoN, but they did not dominate religion as they did in their homelands. In Nochet, they seem to have been tolerated as long as they did not interfere with the Only Old One's rule. Glorantha Book in Genertela Box mentions GL-incited scholarly riots reaching all the way from Nochet to the (unnamed) EWF capital.

>The God Learners had Slontos and many parts of Kethaela.

Three cities we know of, plus the hinterland of Locsil the Clanking City, aka God Forgot. Nochet had a God Learner presence, and at least part of Esrolia was conquered when Zistor manifested. (This could not have happened before the establishment of the cities Jadnor, Lylket and Locsil, definitely after 700.)

>The Empire of Wyrmophiles must have controlled the Valley of Beasts
>and the Dragon River but do we know the limit of these two powers
>in the Second Age ? Was the Plateau of Darkness independant ?

The Kingdom of Night was reduced in size by the invasions to Esrolia, but the God Learners never took over the Obsidian Palace, or its cellars. Lylket was destroyed by trolls emerging from below the Shadow Plateau in ancient tunnels.

>I re-read the Zistor saga in Trollpack, in Genertela and in KoS but
>I didn't find any date for the Ten Year Siege of the Machine City.

KoS says about the destruction of the Clanking City "That was the year when the Windless Typhoon wreaked havoc across the Western Lands", dated to 917 in the Glorantha Book of Genertela Box (p.25).

>I presume it was in the Xth century, after the sinking of the
>Western Armada.

Even before the Closing emanated from Brithos. The besieged God Learners in Locsil were reinforced by sea.

>Was the EWF involved against this ?

Not directly. The local people were responsible for the eradication of the threat, using ancient Kethaelan heroes and magics to do so.