Re: Telmori, 2nd Age Capitals, Yinkini

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 04:46:01 -0500

Ralph asked:

> Are the Telmori of Sartar the 'cursed ones', or 'pure ones'?

Definitely cursed. They *have* to transform on Wilddays. Whether this works by "activating all the Telmor Rune Magic they know" or by some "freebie" power (turning them into the equivalent of a RQ3 werewolf) is at present uncertain, 'cos we're cursed with uninformative rules.

> RQ2 contained monsters known as Wolfbrothers (werewolves). Is this
> coincidence, or a reference to the Telmori before they became known
> as such. Or are there werewolves who are not Telmori?

IMO, the RQ2 lycanthropes (inc. tusk brothers, tiger sons and bear walkers) are a misinterpretation of Hsunchen in general, and the wolf runners are *absolutely* a reference to Telmori. I don't think there are stock fantasy lycanthropes all over Glorantha, though there may be powerful individuals -- shamans of Rathor, etc. -- who effectively mimic such powers and attributes.

Oliver asks:

> What was the name of the capital of the Carmanian Empire now known as
> Burntwall?

IMO, that's Shardash. Same place called "Dolebury" (urgh!) in the Zero Wane History, and located there at some weird place on the primitive map.=

See Tales #16 for a spooky scene-setting description by moi.

Joerg writes:

> Glorantha Book in Genertela Box mentions GL-incited scholarly riots
> reaching all the way from Nochet to the (unnamed) EWF capital.

I have always supposed this to be the Dragon's Eye. Wherever else?

Duncan writes:

> Is there an established cult of Yinkin or an Alynxi hsunchen tribe?

I *think* that, while there may well be a "cult of Yinkin", most of =

its initiates will be feline. In the Greydog campaign, we treated it as effectively the animal counterpart to Odayla -- a human who would otherwise join Yinkin, joins Odayla.

And the "Alynx Hsunchen" are likely to have become Alynx-totem Orlanthi over time, perhaps retaining a special link to Yinkin (their clan shrine is where the Yinkin associate spell comes from). I doubt there are "Cat People" (with the full panoply of Transform spells) in Glorantha today, though there's no reason why there shouldn't be a couple of odd survivals=

from bygone ages, as always in Glorantha.

::::
Nick
::::