Broos Again

From: Eric D. Hansen <ehansen_at_adan.kingston.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 11:32:45 -0500

I just got finished saying that any bestial features a broo has are a result of the particular features of the raping broo combined with chaotic effects rather than the genes of the host. Well, further research (all research assistants have been sacked) reveals that the host does in fact contribute to the features of a broo larva that eats its way through her (or his, or its) belly. Page 20 of Dorastor Land of Doom says:

"Broos reproduce by impregnating any species of animal (and occasionally
plants and minerals). The offspring are recognizable by features of the host...."

Page 79 of the Elder Races book says:

"The disgusting broo habit of impregnating anything has resulted in a
wide variety of broos, usually showing traits similar to the most common animal (or very rarely, plant or mineral) forms of the region."

OK, but if a viable ovum is not necessary for the young broo to germinate, gestate, and tunnel airward, why is it that it is recognizable by features of its host? Clearly the normal process of sex=babies is not at work here, yet still a broo baby looks something like its "mother". Weird.

The easy answer: Well, that's Chaos for you.

The other answer: During the gestation period (unspecified) the host passes genetic material to the larva, influencing its bestial appearance. The rapist broo's features are likely also passed on, making a broo "conception" mimic a real conception. I think it likely that broo pregnancies are not seemingly any different than normal pregnancies, unless the broo was caught in flagrante delicto, or the local Uroxi psychokillers detect Chaos. It is only when the kid (no, not goat) is born through involuntary C-section that the broo connection can be made. As far as purifying the host after the birth, no-can-do, since broomotherhood=death. Even if the broomother miraculously survives, I doubt that condition comes with any other sort of corruption or chaos taint, so purification is a waste of time. It was hardly the host's fault now, was it?

Broos can mate with rocks and trees? I assume that "occasionally" means
"only when said plants and rocks happen to have suitable orifices for
rapine." If plants and minerals are accessible for broo reproduction, how about jungles where the creepers really creep, and the less said about the venus flytraps the better? How about chaos strongholds where the stones of the keep have minds of their own? And what about your auntie's roses? Are those horns??? ;-)