Orlanthi Herders

From: Lee R. Insley <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 12:29:13 -0500

I have the following to add to the Orlanthi sheep/cattle debate. If we assume that sheep are the only animals that are truly herded in an Orlanthi clan, I believe the Voriof connection between shepherds/herders/sheep is complete (NOTE: I am assuming that there are adult herders and that adults herd sheep along with young boys).

My vision of an Orlanthi clan would be that individual Thanes generally own a few horses (at most) used mainly for warfare, individual Carls own a few cattle (at most) used mainly for farming purposes and food, and individual Cottars own proportionally larger amounts of sheep. The Thanes and Carls could support their beasts on small plots of land, probably near the farm land and would not need to *herd* their beasts. The Cottars would need to take their larger flocks from grazing area to grazing area to support the beast's eating habits and the larger number of sheep. If you assume that there are a small number of Thanes, a large number of Carls, and a small number of Cottars in a clan, then you essentially have your warriors, farmers, and herders in what I believe would be the correct proportions.

In this scenario, the horses and cattle are not herded, but domesticated and essentially kept in stables and let out into a pasture area to feed. The sheep are herded, so the Cottars are the only true herders/shepherds in the clan. With this connection, Voriof becomes the god of shepherds and herders all in one and can provide the necessary spells useful for herders.

Comments?