RE: maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:42:35 -0600

>RQ2 contained monsters known as Wolfbrothers (werewolves). Is this
>coincidence, or a reference to the Telmori before they became known as
>such. Or are there werewolves who are not Telmori?

        There are werewolves in Glorantha who are not Telmori. The Telmori worship true werewolves (those who can transform into beast form without a rune spell). The Telmori are certainly the source of many werewolves, but not all. At least not nowadays. Not all Gloranthan shapechangers are part of a Hsunchen cult. The were-jackals of Pamaltela are a case in point; these evil creatures are more like monsters than they are like a religion.

Stephen Martin
>As far as anyone can tell, the only Pure Telmori left in Genertela are
in Dorastor.

        And IMO, the tales of Pure Telmori in the Dorastor Pack are a vile lie -- a sham intended to fool hapless adventurers into thinking that there are "good guys" somewhere within Dorastor.

>I find it difficult to believe that the draconized leaders of the EWF
thought that the awakening of the Great Dragon would >bring about a new Golden Age.

        The EWF, not all leaders of which were draconized, believed that the entirety of the EWF's population would _become_ the great dragon. The priests and leaders would be its soul, the common people its flesh. Hence, everyone would be part of the harmonious whole. Not everyone would be an equally cool bit of the dragon of course -- the big toe is less prestigious than the eyeball, but all are part of the whole.

>there is no Yinkin Tribe anymore

        I concur with Stephen in this -- I do not believe that Alynx Hsunchen exist any more. With the important exception that if a GM has created a cool scenario in which the obscure Alynx Hsunchen play a part, I can readily believe that some small fragment of the tribe survives in some isolated backwater (Balazar, for instance? Where they'd be mortal foes of the Dog People, no doubt.) After all, if Earth can have surviving tuataras and Samaritans, why can't Glorantha have Alynx Hsunchen? With the cavil that I can't see how this tribe could be very large nor widespread.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #251