Valind the Wind Walker of the Cold Wastes

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:08:50 +0800

>> BTW: Does anyone know where I might find information on the cult of
>> Valind??
>
>Other than Gods of Glorantha, the only good source I have seen is a story
>someone (Jim Chapin?) wrote on the digest about the Last Icebreaker, which
>had some pretty good stuff about ice demons and an incarnation of Valind.

        Ice demons are more part of the allied cult of Himile, fully written up in Troll Gods. I think of Valind as having more chill winter winds. Wild winter wind sylphs, perhaps that also do the 1 hit point a round freezing of shades, might be an appropriate thing.

        If the GOG writeup is to be believed, attempting to become a priest of Valind is frequently fatal, so I imagine the cult is not large.

        You could more generously assume that those who worship the cult might possess some winter survival skills that might make survival rather more frequent.

        On another note, in a rather absurdly high powered RQ2 game in the dim and distant past here, I believe an incarnation of Valind was encountered who had the stats of Ithaqua, from Call of Cthulhu, or at least the ever popular 'fling opponent 1d10x10 feet into the air' attack (rather hideous in RQ2, where falling damage quickly became enormous). I am sure at least some Gloranthan cultures think of Valind that way, as a hideous cold airy monster that lurks to the north, the Lunars for example. Victims of Valinds wrath could similarly be discovered dropped from a height and frozen solid in the untouched winter snow.

        Cheers

                David

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #253