Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #252

From: Kennjewlz_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:02:47 -0500 (EST)

Well,assuming I've gotten this address right,this will be my first contribution(though my 2nd try at mailing to the right place) to the Digest ;having lurked unproductively in the shadows on & off for a year or so.

-The Truth about Cats and DogsI'

    ve been following this "doggish cat" thread for a while now,and it seems to me that almost everybody has a problem with a "Cat" (more of a Cat-th ing really) that acts like a dog; herding sheep,pulling guard duty, being a huntin' dog,or, even more unbelievably, performing the very-same  weird/arcane "tricks" that we all take as little more than odd when performed by an actual dog ("What's that girl?Timmy's lost in the swamp and needs his Insulin?").

    The problem with these critters performing canine-type-feats is that we're just too damned familiar with the RW-variety ( whether Kitty or Tiger),so we all know how these Cat-things would/should probably act: lazy, i mperious,and plainly just too damned stupid to learn a thing ("I swear,its a miracle the little shit even knows his name!"-c'mon,admit it.We've all said that before).

     According to somebody a couple of issues back,both the Dog & the Cat-thing have the same INT( I'd check my books to make sure,but I'm just too lazy right at the moment,so I'll take it as gospel ). So theoretically,if the Cat-thing isn't
actually a RW-variety,and it has the same INT as the multi-talented DOG (who has little problem learning any number of useful/useless tricks) , it should be no problem to train one of these Cat-things.

     Which brings up this little tidbit: Maybe a month or 2 back,I was watching this show on the TV that dealt with training animals.In any case,they had this segment on training CATS (just the Alleyius Catius,none of the Big Carnivores,but y'never know).The trainer dropped this bit o wisdom during the piece:

     IT TAKES 1 WEEK TO FOOD-TRAIN A CAT TO DO 1 SIMPLE TRICK.
     Now,it is true that these simple tricks were  little ones the cats'd
perform to make them do mighty peculiar things during a catfood commercial ,but STILL!!!!

     Maybe this'll help everyone with training their pesky Magical Cat-things

-Its not the size that counts,its how you Broos it-
      stuff about different sized Broo is almost interesting :)...It occured to me that if trying to breed-UP,howbout a boatload of Broo rowing out toward where the whales can be seen from shore.These guys then Befuddle (or whatever) the first Whale they encounter,and a bunch hop onto it.Since Broo can apparently breed with rocks n stuff that dont have "proper" reproductive qualities/recepticles,why it'd be simplicity for 1 to take the blowhole(yeech),and the rest to slash cuts into the body of the whale where they can then get to rocking(double yeech) .Whenever they hatch( or whatever it is they do),there'll be a bunch of these AquaticMammalBroolings coming into the World at one time to make the World a much more dangerous place.

      See ya around the Campus!
     -Ken Murphy-