Final thoughts on the goat/broo relationship

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:50:29 -0000

Eric D. Hansen (answering my question about broo reproduction):
> A description of broo reproduction can be found on p.55 of Lords of
Terror,
> under the heading Female Broos:
> "Broos reproduce by impregnating any species of animal (and
> occasionally plants and minerals). The offspring are recognizable
> by features of the host..." Page 20 of Dorastor Land of Doom

Shame on me for not going to the sources first (even if I didn't have them with me the time I was writing).

> I think someone already connected broo births with the film Alien.
> This is right on the mark. Broos reproduce by implanting larvae,
> not through normal sperm-egg procreation.

I would say that the acquisition of 'features of the host' could be linked to another movie: The Thing by John Carpenter.

What brings me to a final conclusion of the whole issue of broos, their reproduction, the connection with goats and how humans relate the two things. It goes like that:

  1. Broos reproduce by 'impregnating any species or animal' Alien like (only that they use a mockery of sexual activity to the effect).
  2. The offspring acquires the features of the host like in Carpenter's movie The Thing (I would assume that they even have the disgusting apearence of the thransformed creatures in that movie).
  3. Generaly there is no special connection between broos and goats but in some places like Dragon Pass broos often impregnate goats. The reasons are: 3.1. Broos tend to share with wild goats the same environment (rocky and hard to access highlands). 3.2. Some broo groops herd goats has a back up for reproduction (they herd goats because these animals don't require as much care as other species and are very resistent). 3.3. Most of the time the host will die of disease transmited by the broo that inoculated him before the offspring matures. Since goats (my assumption) are more resistant to disease, they may survive until the offspring matures. For broos bands that whish to have herds - and IMO are wanderers most of the time - this feature makes goats the most likely victim since it means the band can continue moving around and take with it the living goat but impregnated (if they choosed other species the 'mother' would die and they would have to carry the dead body with them).
  4. Humans deal with broos and goats the next way: 4.1. They are aware that goats are not chaotic but they also recognize that they are used more often by broos to reproduction then any other species. 4.2. Human goat herds require the same care that any other herd to protect them from broos. 4.3. Wild goats may be hunted in places with no recent records of broo activity. If there are records of broo activity, its better to have your Urox nearby to confirm if there is the risk of broo infection of that beautiful goat you just captured. 4.4. Goats herded by broos must be destroied and should not be allowed to escape to the wilds. 4.5. All in all, goats require the same special care you give pigs: pigs are recognized as filthy and disease bearing animals but that doesn't mean that humans think they are natural minions of Malia to be killed on sight...

That's all.

Best,

Sergio