Big, Bigger and Biggest Broos

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 11:23:04 -0500

Another thought occurred to me as to why broos might be reluctant to breed with large herbivores, like elephants and dinosaurs. The thought was that since broo society is as it is, i.e. a broo-eat-broo world (sometimes literally!)
where the strong dominate the weak there might not be much incentive to breed with large animals since this would result in bigger and stronger broos.

Would broos want to produce offspring that would come to doiminate them physically? Maybe, they are broos after all, not much given to deep thought.
However I think the smarter broos might be reluctant to breed uber-broos unless they had some sort of edge (i.e. intelligence and/or magical power) that would allow them to dominate their offspring.

(Rant mode on) I mean if broos were that smart or organized they would have breed progressively larger broos long ago and created a race of master broos that would have destroyed Glorantha a long time ago. (Rant mode off).

Anyway, this is in no means a denial that these uber monster broos exist. They certainly do. I just think they're pretty rare that's all. (Funny how they
always seem to turn up when parties of adventurers wander by though...) There's always going to be a very lonely broo who's in the mood for love just when he comes across a sleeping rhino. Heck, he may even survive the encounter.

Umm, I may be misinterpreting this but it seems to me that Sergio still has the conception that broos need females to breed with. This isn't the case. Drop a broo into a monastery and eventually you get a lot more broos despite the lack of females. I apologize if I've misinterpreted your statements Sergio.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca
ww.geocities.com/TimesSquare/realm/5545