More on Adventurers

From: David Cheng <cheng_at_global2000.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 00:38:04 -0500

Another response to Allen Wallace's essay on adventurers.

One of the best RQ campaigns I've played in, run by Charles Morehouse, was very different than the scenario portrayed by Mr Wallace.

An underlying theme of the campaign was:

   "Experience makes you better. Better people should be leaders."

Thus, "average" people matured into "average older people"; faceless NPCs.

People who took more upon themselves:
* volunteered to hunt newtlings that were disrupting river trade,

These people were looked upon by the tribe to be the "leaders of tomorrow." They (we) had better skills (from all those experience checks), more trade goods (from loot & pillage), more exposure to foreigners, more and better magic, and were better in a fight too.

In our town of Redcow, there was the party of PCs and an NPC party of "adventurers." They were far better organized than us, but we could individually kick their asses (Kinda makes you think about the Lunar/Orlanthi relationship, huh?). Anyway, there was a natural rivalry between us, because we all knew that only some of us could go on to the tribal leadership roles.