Adventurers

From: allen wallace <alwallac_at_linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:58:35 -0800 (PST)

Sergio

>The question is: what is ''normal'' society? A lunar adventurer in Sartar

will be outside of ''normal'' barbarian society but will be inside ''normal'' lunar society. Most adventuring occurs when different social strata overlap. Other examples: a nobleman in an 'adventure' set in the lowest classes; an human merchant (maybe Issaries or Etyries) 'adventuring' into troll lands for commerce.<

The point is not where the adventuring occurs, but what new and alien knowledge is learned. The old saw " you can never go home again." With any of the above examples there is a really good chance of the adventurer picking up outlooks and mannerisms that make people back home real uncomfortable. Most adventurers are the courageous type, if that noble learned in his adventures among the lower classes that there are real and terrible injustices going on every day then that noble may well decide to do something about it. This is not going to make him popular with his former peers.

>It's up to them to understand how politics operate. If they fail, don't
pity them. Good adventurers know how to, and usually are also great politicians.<

Id disagree with the assumption that most are great politicians, but if thats been your experience you must have some interesting games. I agree, and so stated in the article, that *great* politicians can use their differences as well as common ground to their own benefit. What I havent seen, RW or gaming, is a great percentage of such people being great politicians. Most of them can hold it together for a while and then lose it totally.

> This is GM's problem: make them have some 'bad' experiences because they

feel so detached from society and you will see how eager they are to become

some more of the mainstream.<

Unless the bad experiences drive them further out. Adventurers can be a stubborn lot. Also depends on whether you want them to live comfortably.

Several good points, thanks for the comments.

To David Dunham also thanks. You've both made good points about the Hero who is not the Outsider. If I do write a final of this, I'll make a point of including those ideas, if you don't have any problems with me using your ideas. These just weren't the types of adventurer I was envisioning.

		Again, Thanks,
				Allen