hazari mystery cults

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:19:24 -0500

Henry Soulatzkoff asked:
> You mention Hazari Mystery Cults on one of your pages about
> Carmanain culture, but I can't find anything more. Do you have anything else
> written about them?

I sure don't. And I wish I did. My Carmanian writings are distillations of things I thought together with things that Nick Brooke and Paul Reilly thought of. The Hazari Mystery Cults are one of Paul's secrets.

If I were to write them up the first thing I'd want to do would be to re-read everything I could find on the warrior cult of Mithras from the roman empire. It was the main popular competitor to Christianity, and it was descended in large part from the Greek mystery religions. It failed to prevail in popularity because it was for men only and thus excluded 50% of the population.

And then I'd start writing some of them up.

Note that there is a lion mystery, and a bull mystery, and at one time there was a dragon mystery (most of whom were burnt to a crisp along with the rest of the true golden horde, after helping the horde kill some true dragons). Part of the mystery involves consuming the heart, or some other part, of the mystery's totemic being, and gaining power from it. I don't think the powers so gained include Hsunchen-style physical transformation abilities, but they might. There should be a number of mysteries other than lions and bulls, perhaps including bears, orcas, eagles, hollris, gophers ;), snow trolls, mostali, and aldryami.