Minor natterings

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 09:49:34 +1300 (NZDT)

Were Ralph:

>Can anyone tell me if a RQ3 write up of the Vivamort cult has been
>published anywhere.

No published writeup of an RQ3 Vivamort Cult exists. One could try a variation of the Necromancer speciality in Sandy's Sorcery Rules to handle Vampires in Western Society.

I do feel that however Vivamorti elsewhere (central genertela) do not practice sorcery but require the consumption of fresh blood to fuel their magical spells as well as draining magic points through touch (to power them).

>I'm also curious about the rune for 'Undead'.
>In Drastic:chaos, it is depicted as a kind of Pacman on his back, but
>the version in Cults of Terror has a rune more like the one labelled
>'hunger' in Drastic.

>Is this a mistake or a change in thinking?

The combination of life and death in Cults of Terror has been redefined from Undeath to Hunger in Gods of Glorantha (cf the runes for the cult of Krarsht there). Vivamort IMO is partly connected with hunger because the vampire hungers after the living.

Loren Miller:

On Hazari Mystery Cults:

>If I were to write them up the first thing I'd want to do would be to
>re-read everything I could find on the warrior cult of Mithras from the
>roman empire.

You might be interested in David Ulansey's 'The origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the ancient world' for more information.

David Dunham:

Me>> Unfortunately so do animal and plant lore (farming). Making the
>> same skill for both the practical and academic aspects was a
>> big mistake IMO.

>I don't think so, in that it avoids skill proliferation (just how many
>skills do you want to see listed on the sheet, anyway?).

Only the ones I know.

>I thought Craft
>(Farming) was a mistake, since there were already good skills to cover it
>- -- why introduce a new one that nobody had?

I thought the idea with introducing craft (farming) was to take all the farmers who had plant lore and rename their skill. In any case plant lore is not IMO a 'good skill' as it's not experience-checkable.

>The problem is that there isn't a good name for the combined skills (Animal
>Lore/Herding and Plant Lore/Farming, and heck, Mineral Lore/Mining).

>(Note: I understand that the skills can be divided the way Peter suggests.
>I just think that, even in a farmer game, it's not worth doing.)

Depends on what type of game you're playing. I can well understand that in a SFC game that there is not even a need for the academic aspect and so I would suggest that plant lore/farming would become a experience tickable skill with a seperate skill Herbalism (stupidly called Refine Medicine in RoC) to handle the arcane bits.

There is a place in glorantha IMO where a distinction between academic and practical aspects does become important: Loskalm. I do not think that wizards who managed to get a scholarship to the University of Sog City can use their farming experience to be smartarses in Plant Lore 101. Neither should lecturers of that learned topic be able to retire to a farm and become whiz-kids. This would also be true for to some extent for places like the Lunar Empire, Kralorela etc.

Your mileage may vary.