Howling at the Moon...

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 16:13:49 +1300 (NZDT)

Joerg Baumgartner:

SP>> Hold on now Nick. First convince me that werewolves don't
>>transform on the Full Moon phase regardless of the day of the week. I
>>find it hard to believe that the lunar cycle hasn't affected the poor
>>beasts. After all, werewolves are traditionally moon-linked creatures.

>Well, so was a certain oasis in Prax (Moonbroth), which has a geysir
>erupting every Wildday.

It may have been erupting with the cycles of the Blue Moon and when the Red Moon came, the cycles stabilised to erupt regularly on Wildday. Of course this only enhances the reputation of the Red Moon as the Moon to come in Prax.

>> Personally, I find it easy to believe that before the Red Moon
>>rose, werewolves transformed on the day of the Blue Streak.

>I don't really think so. It was Talor who pronounced the curse. What
>did he have to do with the Blue Streak? What did he see behind the gate of
>Banir (whence, I suppose, Harmast and friends brought him back) to choose
>this cycle?

He could have chosen it out of utility - ie what cycle would screw up the Telmori the most. IMO he would have chosen Shargash/Tolat which being red is more appropos in the maddening blood metaphor. However we would need some irregular epicycle of sorts in Shargash's orbit on the scale of a week or two as the four week period seems too long to screw up the Telmori.

I propose the following:

When Shargash was below the horizon, the Telmori did not change.

When Shargash was above the horizon, a proportion of the Telmori changed into wolves. This depended on how close Shargash was to the (southpath) zenith and his position in the epicycle.

If Shargash was at the zenith and his place in the epicycle was at a maximum, then all the Telmori changed. If he was in a minimum at the zenith, then only a modest amount (say 50%) changed. The proportion descreases the closer Shargash is to the horizon so at the rising and setting, only a small number of Telmori changed. The real twist is that the more powerful one is in Telmor magics, the more likely she or he is to change. Also it means that people are likely to become wolves for extended periods. So when Shargash rises, the Telmori leaders are likely to become barking mad leaving their less-experienced underlings to be outwitted by the more civilized enemy.

So what did Talor think of it all? He must have been laughing his head off.

>Wildday has the beast rune in the Theyalan calendar, right?

But did Talor use the Theyalan calender? Historically it was the God Learners who spread it everywhere.