Draconic Golden Age ++

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 18:49:09 EST

To All:

Sorry for the lack of timeliness of some of these comments, but somehow I missed Digests 253-256.

Peter Metcalfe
>I feel that based on Ingolf's Saga, the EWF believed that being
>eaten by a Dragon if done properly (ie the stars are right etc),
>would transport the sacrifice to Kapertine, the 'Golden Age' of
>the EWF. IMO the EWF used surplus citizens led by missionaries
>(think of the Pied Piper of Hamelin) into the maws of dragons to
>kept the dragons fed and dispose of any idlers and/or potential
>troublemakers.

>Thus IMO if the EWF knew that if the Grand Dragon was awakened
>and that it would devour glorantha as it did so, that the EWF
>would not only see this apocalypse as a desirable outcome (for
>everybody goes to Kapertine) but one to be actively striven for.

I suppose this works, assuming everyone accepts that "Kapertine" and "Golden Age of the EWF" are equivalent terms. I am not so sure of this, however.

>>Exactly how the cult of the
>>Pharaoh (and the Only Old One before him) worked is not
>>published as far as I know, but there is nothing to
>>suggest that it worked indirectly, through a pyramid
>>structure.

>Apart from the hexapartite structure of the Sixths of the
>Holy Country each with their own cults and leaders.

A pyramidal political structure does not make a pyramidal religon and flow of power.

>The human-dragonewt relationships are good but the Kralori
>did not learn their dragon magic from the dragonewts

Actually, there really is no evidence for or against this statement, as far as I interpret what little we know.

>nor is the lore of the dragonewts an integral part of the
>Kralori Empire IMO - they have about as much impact on
>Kralori magical thought as the Char-un do the Lunar Empire.
>Lastly there is considerable doubt from the dragonewts of
>central genertela as to whether the eastern dragonewts are
>proper dragonewts.

Somehow I think dragonewts in Kralorela have somewhat more influence on affairs than the Char-Un do in Peloria.

>It's really a change in perspective, that's all.

Yes, we seem to be more agreeing than dis-, here anyways.

>> whenever a broo contacts a female regardless of the species the broo
can
>> transmit a disease. The longer the pregnancy, the more likely the
disease
>> may kill the female before the birth of the broo (I am assuming that
the
>> pregnancy of a broo takes as long as a normal pregnancy of a child of
the
>> given female but I'm most likely wrong and the time required for a
broo to
>> develop may be independent of the host).

Passo
> Broobirth can't take that long. The host is sucked dry from resources,
> I would imagine that season is the maximum time.

Per the old Borderlands campaign pack, and I believe reprinted in River of Cradles, Broobirth lasts 2 seasons + 1d8 weeks. So, between 2 and 3 full seasons, it seems.I would also imagine that most broo are born smaller than most humans or animals, so that broobirth occurs well before a normal person or farmer would expect the mother to give birth. Surprise, surprise!

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com