Morokanth

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:34:23 +1300 (NZDT)

Jane Williams:

>Where did morocanth come from? Did they have their own deity, before Waha
>arrived? Were they created in that strange form for some reason, or what?

A tapir is not a strange form but actually a normal animal. The Morokanth were one of the many beasts that displaced the native goats (no - I am not going to talk about orlanthi herding goats and/or broos) during the Golden Age according to ToTRM#14.

I suppose they were one of the many herds that thundered on the plains in the days when the Giants ruled Prax. All beasts in those days venerated their founder and protectoress.

>To what extent are they associated with the Darkness Rune? What other
>beings are associated with that Rune, apart from Trolls? Is Darktongue
>the rune/cult language of Darkness, or is it linked to the unique senses
>of trolls?

The Morokanth are darkness-associated because they have better nightsight than humans and are more likely to attack during the night. Sodding bastards. Darktongue is simply the language that the Uz speak.

>Any of the experts on GRoY/FS etc. found Morocanth references in there?

There is one tiny mention of a Tapir God of the outsiders in the tales of the Suvarians (ie Darjiin) in p96 of the GRoY (Ivory Pages) in some bygone golden age conflict. Nonetheless I don't think these outsiders are Morokanth (they also worship a Hippo and Crocodile God).

>What did Morocanth do in the Chaos wars? IFWW, of course, as everyone
>did, and I assume they weren't on the side of Chaos, but is anything else
>known? Did their patron deity perhaps get destroyed then?

After Oakfed burned the Forests of Prax, they were one of the starving people whom Waha rescued. They couldn't eat the chaparral that now grow on the plains of prax.

>I gather Prax had a fair amount of Sky worship pre-Waha? If so, how did
>they get on with Morocanth, before Morocanth were known to herd "humans"
>but also before the bond of "us Praxians v. the rest" was there?

Prax was not a solar-orientated civilization like Dara Happa in the Old Days. Its dominant force was the Giants under Genert. IMO They shaped the Storm Hills to look like a bull to magically increase the fertility of their herd (think of the mounds of the Adena culture). So they could use whatever natural forces they wanted.