Kralorela

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:01:47 +1300 (NZDT)

>From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>

Me>> However my point is there is nothing to stop the Lunars from
>> adopting a cultic structure that you alleged for Kralorela where
>> the Satraps are worshipped who then worship the Emperor.
>
>But they haven't.

But they _could_ and the adoption of such practices does not require the use of draconic magics.

>If a pyramid structure was useful for the lunars they
>could easily set up others than the satraps as foci
>for worship, in order to separate temporal and mystical
>power.

Like the Temples of the Reaching Moons, for example?

>> Secondly, I do not think that the Kralori draw a distinction
>> between Dragon Magic and Mysticism. Both are the same thing
>> as far as they can tell.
>
>I think they do. Mysticism is what everybody use, even
>though only a few really master it, while any knowledge
>of dragon magic is the realm of a select few, with a true
>dedication to the mystic arts.

I find this a bit iffy. I think that draconic concepts should be found in each and every level of Kralori society rather than being restricted to a select few. Otherwise you run the risk of draconism being lost and only mysticism being practiced.

>I think dragon magic and mysticism stem from the same
>holistic world view. But I also think that there are
>differences. First of all, the most obvious is that
>dragon magic is for draconics, it's the left-handed way.
>Mysticism is for humans.

But the Kralori don't use learn their magics from the Dragonewts, they learned them from their Dragon ancestors. All Kralori are descended from the Dragon People. So why can they not practice the lore of their ancestors? Who is forbidding them?

>But there is another distinction. In the published dragon
>magic rules, it is based on mastery of your emotions.
>The user does magic by eliminating the (illusory) line
>between the inner self (emotions, personality) and the
>outer world, starting at the inner self.

>[snip explanation on how the 'mystic' masters the world
>to control his inner self and how the 'draconic' masters
>his inner self to master the world]

And what makes you think that the Kralori don't use their magic along the 'draconic' path? The farmer could reason 'The Ideal farmer is meek and passive and readily obediant to his superiors. If I become meek and passive and readily obediant then my crops will flourish and my cattle will be fat and I will have chicken every sixday because I am a better farmer'. That would fit Kralorela like a glove! Simply saying that one side of the coin is very difficult and only learnable by the very high and very very mighty is almost criminal in this light.

>> The human-dragonewt relationships are good but the Kralori
>> did not learn their dragon magic from the dragonewts nor
>
>IMO the relations wouldn't be good unless the Kralorelans
>did their draconic stuff "the right way", with proper
>respect and all.

Respect to whom? The Kralori owe respect only to their ancestral dragons not some jungle dwelling lizard. The 'newts also speak with forked tongues but I don't see the Exarchs splitting their tongues. Just because the EWF once did things this way does not mean the Kralori have to be carbon copies of them.