Exarchs

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 01:15:04 EST

>> 'All adult citizens worship Godunya, the Dragon Emperor
>> as a matter of state policy. Their worship is channeled
>> through the exarcs, making them foci of magical power,
>> and making the Emperor himself the most magical human in
>> the world'

>I think we mean the same thing here actually. I have never
>thought anything else than that the exarchs receive the
>worship, but the dragon emperor is the real target.

This is very similar to the dryads, who are said to receive worship "for" or "in the name of" Aldrya. They gain some power from this, but the rest is passed on to Aldrya.

In fact, this applies to a lesser extent to most humans as well -- where do you think the "annual POW gain" of the priesthood comes from? It comes from the priest acting as the conduit through which the MPs of the worshipers travel to the deity.

That's how I look at it, anyways.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions