Calendars, Morocanth

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 01:15:04 EST

Peter Metcalfe
>But did Talor use the Theyalan calender? Historically it was the
>God Learners who spread it everywhere.

Actually, I am fairly certain that some of the calendering was spread by the First and Second Councils, though this would still preclude Talor from using it.

May I suggest that one of the reasons the Beast Rune is now associated with Wildday is because of the 1100 years where peoples all throughout central and western Genertela have seen Telmori forced into wolf-form on that day? A thousand years is a very long time, especially if you live near one of the Cursed Tribes!

I suggest that Talor did not consciously decide which day the curse affected the Telmori -- my guess is that the day he pronounced it, is the day it took effect!

Jane on Morocanth!
>Where did morocanth come from? Did they have their own deity, before
>Waha arrived? Were they created in that strange form for some reason, or
>what?

In the Golden Age, in Prax, there was no difference between men and animals -- they lived and didn't have to work, together. They were created in their "strange form" because they were one of the many four-leg tribes, in other words, animals.

>To what extent are they associated with the Darkness Rune? What other
>beings are associated with that Rune, apart from Trolls? Is Darktongue
>the rune/cult language of Darkness, or is it linked to the unique senses

>of trolls?

The association with Darkness comes from Nomad Gods, where they had the darkness affiliation (Bison had air, High Llama water, Impala Fire/Sky, and Sables the Moon), and from Cults of Prax, where: 1) they were allied with trolls in an assault on the Paps; and 2) had a relatively high percentage of Zorak Zoran worship.

Darktongue is said in RQ2 and Genertela to be the language of trolls and other darkness-related creatures. I am certain this does not include morocanth, who are not so much darkness-related as darkness-allied. They speak Praxian, of course.

Other darkness-related creatures who speak Darktongue include shades, Dehori spirits, hmm, hollri maybe?

>Any of the experts on GRoY/FS etc. found Morocanth references in there?

I have not seen a one. I have not analyzed Entekosiad, however -- Peter Metcalfe is the best bet there, or Pam Carlson.

>What did Morocanth do in the Chaos wars? IFWW, of course, as everyone
>did, and I assume they weren't on the side of Chaos, but is anything
else
>known? Did their patron deity perhaps get destroyed then?

Morocanth did what all the other Praxians did during the Chaos Wars -- fought chaos, and hid from it, and mostly died. I assume they had a place at IFWW, though I don't know if the timeline would place that before or after the Survival Covenant.

As for their patron deity, they didn't have a single patron deity -- none of the Praxians did, until Waha came. In the Golden Age, people lived among all the gods, and received the blessings of all of them. In Prax, at least, there seems to have been no class of people who were better or worse off, and no real "political" nature to elemental affiliations.

>I gather Prax had a fair amount of Sky worship pre-Waha? If so, how did
>they get on with Morocanth, before Morocanth were known to herd
>"humans" but also before the bond of "us Praxians v. the rest" was
there?

Prax didn't exactly have a lot of sky "worship" before Waha, at least not in the Golden Age -- the Sun God was probably no more or less revered than the River God, or Eiritha, or Genert himself. In the Great Darkness, all of the peoples of the world, with few exceptions, looked to the Stars for aid, and I think some Morocanth did. However, some morocanth seem to have survived the latter parts of the Darkness era by worshiping Zorak Zoran or, as I call him in Prax, Dark Eater. As such, they had less sky contact than most other Praxians.

All IMO, of course.

In The Book of Drastic Resolutions, Volume Darkness, I plan to publish the morocanth version of Zorak Zoran, the Dark Eater. This will hopefully include a page or so of info on how darkness and slavery fit into the lives of the morocanth of Prax.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com