Re: Telmori Cycles

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 97 18:17 MET

Sorry to interrupt this clash of titans: Steve Martin posited:
>>Sorry, Nick is correct on this one -- Telmori are NOT RW werewolves,
>>and have no known moon-connection. They all transform on Beastday,
>>which has always been Wildday.

and Sandy rebuts:
> Sorry, I totally disagree. The original RQ work had it be the
>Full Moon day, and I'm sticking to that. Consider: Wildday is just a
>Theyalan mental construct. The Telmori don't even _use_ that calendar
>except where they've been culturally bonded to civilized society.

IMO it doesn't matter whether the Telmori count the days of a week at all (one to six, for cursed specimen...). What matters is the cycle and the religious mindset of the cursing party - Talor, brought back (and likely accompanied) by Harmast and his Lightbringers. If Talor's curse had the strongest beast magic on Wildday, that's when the effect of the curse would strike.

>We know that werewolves are cyclic, and we know that they are tainted with
>chaos. The Number One cyclic chaos force in the world is the Red Moon. I
>maintain that they adhere to her cycle.

This reasoning is ok for 1247 and subsequent years. What cyclical chaotic force was there before 1247? Did it have a weekly rhythm? I'm fairly sure the Fronelans would remember.

We also know that the Telmori being chaos tainted predates them going cyclic about it. The curse was uttered shortly before or in 450 ST. Whatever cyclical force it uses, it has to be around at this time. (What is the magical reason for the Theyalan week, anyway?)