The Red Moon Goddess

From: joelsona_at_superman.cig.mot.com
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:32:06 -0600

Erik Nolander:
> As far as I can tell, one of the reasons that the Red Goddess as
> special, is that she was born within the terms of the Compromise, and
> thus not subject to its laws. If I remember correctly, this is noted as
> the only time a god/goddess has been created within the Compromise.

     Urm, ah, well it's like this. The RMG wasn't originaly bound by the Compromise (if you beleive in that sort of thing). That is what brought about the Battle of Castle Blue. By the end of the battle, she was. There's a passage about it in KoS if I'm not mistaken. An Orlanthi hero (Alakoring DragonBreaker?) is visiting Castle Blue and laments that he cannot return to the world to smite the 'chaos-loving' new goddess. "But if she were not bound by the Compromise, then that pact itself would impell me to do so. Why my sword would vibrate in it's sheath!" Well, the sword started vibrating, and things sort of took off from there.

     I think that Nysalor is the only other god to be born after Time similarly free of constraint. The others, (like Dormal, frex) were bound up in the Compromise by the process through which they apothosized. IMO, of course.

(BTW, Nick and I seem to be at about 98% agreement on the Yanafal thing, whch is pretty good considering how we tore into each over this once...)

Andrew Joelson		     	          joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanafal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #263