Shafting the sunny boys of Prax

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 21:50:57 -0500 (EST)

Sergio Mascarenhas wrote
> >1. I always assumed that the best RW inspiration for Yelmalio piquemen was
> >classical Greek and Macedonian piquemen. After reading the mentioned book I
> >changed my mind: Yelmalion are the swiss (renaissance swiss piquemen) of
> >Glorantha.

Lee Insley replied:
> Without going into the details, the differences between the Swiss of the
> Renaissance and the Hoplites of the Greeks are not trivial. The troops of
> Sun County are definitely modeled after the Greeks. The Swiss tactics and
> composition was much more than a bunch of spearmen in heavy armor and
> doesn't fit the Sun County army at all IMO. The Swiss used various types
> of weapons, each with a specific purpose (the long spears to fight cavalry,
> the halberds to fight infantry, the riflemen to fight long distance). The
> greek infantry was uniform, much like the Templars.

True. Sergio's suggestion is well-taken, though, when you consider that the Yelmists in Prax, like the Swiss, deal with more effective and more numerous cavalry than the ancients. Use of the Swiss square might be logical, just because flank and rear attacks are a real threat. An addition, as it were, to the otherwise ancient Greek tactics they use based on the very different environments of Prax and Greece. Possible...?

Sergio added:
> >Now, Prax is semi-desertic so you wouldn't expect to find there the
> >adequate trees for pique's poles. I started to wonder where do Yelmalion
> >find te poles for their piques. (If there isn't an acceptable answer, no
> >poles => no piques => no yelmalion on Prax. But we know there are yelmalion
> >on Prax, don't we !?)

They could just import the wood; since Repair is available -- a cult spirit spell, even! -- pike poles should last a fair bit, even with damage and fumbles. Easy enough for them to tote in several dozen poles each year from elsewhere, and the cunning Yelmali-Os probably keep a bunch stashed away for dark times.