Yanfal/Seven Mothers

From: joelsona_at_superman.cig.mot.com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 07:54:21 -0600

     I guess that I did not make myself clear. Most of the things David agreed with Nick upon, but not me, are actually areas in which Nick & I _do_ agree.

     The problem is that the 'Lunars' have bunches of wargods. Or perhaps I should say gods with warrior apsects. Yelm the Warrior, Pole-star, Yara Aranis, etc. But when you start to look at them closely, many of the have specialized aspects. Pole-star seems to be the god of the Army Quartermaster's Corps, Hwarin Dalthippa is the patron of the Army Corps of Engineers. YT gets the officers, 'cause that's the stuff he teaches.

     This is not as obvious on the frontier, as YT is the one 'Lunar' wargod getting pushed. His Humakti roots make him similar to the cult the Barbarians are used to, and relatively easy to understand and accept. As part of the 'Pantheon initiation' thing, you get some YT stuff on entering the Seven Mothers. But it's not so much a subcult  as a pantheon cult. People who want more than standard healing gravitate toward Deezola, etc. In the end, the 7M is not a hodge podge cult made out of seven others; it's a way of presenting seven closely associated cults in an area where none of the cults could field a decent constituancy alone. Individuals are free to work with one, a few, or all of them, as they see fit.

     You can bet your stash that the Captain of the Guard, at any temple of the 7M is a YT-type, possibly a Scimitar. He needs Strategy & Tactics, Military Law & Discipline, and How to Inspect the Men, just as much as his Red Army counter-parts do.

                        Andrew

"The Muse struck me the other day, but I am recovering nicely"