Pikes and Agrimori

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:50:44 -0500

Russ Massey said (in response to Sergio)
>The men-and-a-half are probably closer to the Swiss
>model, with their cultural emphasis on unity and bravery in the phalanx and
>their reputation as the finest infantry in Genertela (or is it just Prax?)

I've always had a problem with the Agrimori using pikes. My understanding has been that pike phalanxes need to drill a fair bit if they're going to be effective. I can't see hunter nomads having the discipline or the opportunities
to drill. IMG I've made the Agrimori peltasts instead. This arms them with several long spears for throwing (only an Agrimori could throw a long spear) which along with their large shields, and combination of leather and natural

armour makes them the equivalent of light heavy infantry (LHI for those war gaming fans out there). This reduces the discipline they need yet keeps them deadly. (Makes 'em more like the Zulus too-I know the Zulus didn't use
long spears) . The use of peltasts were one of the reasons why pike phalanxes dropped out of favour. (They're cheaper too). Roman style infantry were another. They'd still be among the best infantry in Prax/ Genertela-too bad they don't have any calvary or much in the way of artillery
(magic) support.

Russ again:

>Well the original pikes might have been brought with them, and from then on
>they only need access to the repair spell and trade for the occasional
wagon
>of replacements every couple of decades to keep the temple equipped, even
>assuming they can't grow any suitable local material.

The only problem with this is that the repair spell doesn't repair the last point
of damage so eventually (if they break that often that is) your pikestaff will
become a pike toothpick.

Sergio:

>A final question: what about Agimori? Where do they get the poles for their

>lances and piques?

A thought occured to me. It could be part of a Agrimori youths initiation into
adulthood for them to travel into a dangerous, unfamiliar area like the Great
Bog or the hills to the west of Prax to harvest enough long straight poles for
their long spears (or pikes if you will).

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca
www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/realm/5545