Re: Half-Moon = Full Moon

From: TTrotsky <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:22:50 EST

Peter tries to help:

Me: <<>As I understand Nick's 'Searchlight Hypothesis' the RM is perpetually 'half' there [Silver Shadow] because you're underneath it. I must admit, this sounds very fishy to me. So can anyone out there please explain why I'm wrong?

Peter:
Within the glowline, there is always a portion of the Moon that is illuminated (even on Dark and Dying Moon days). It is the visibility of this portion that allows Lunar Magics to be treated as if being cast on the day of the Full Moon.

    I'm aware of that, Peter ;-). What I'm puzzled by is the idea that the Red Moon *looks* perpetually half over the city of Glamour and Silver Shadow *if* I understand the idea about the phase of the RM differing across the world correctly. It doesn't seem right to me for it never to be visibly full over the area which is said to be the centre of its power. I can only assume I've failed to grasp something... but what?

    While we're on the subject, I gather that Greg has decreed that the RM's apparent altitude in the sky does not vary with distance, i.e. you can't triangulate its height. But if it's overhead in one place and not overhead at another then by definition it's at a different apparent altitude in those two places (even if it's the same everywhere else). Of course, the RM is only *exactly* overhead in the Crater, where hardly anyone goes, which I suppose might explain it. Still makes me wonder what the people who do go inside the Crater (the Emperor and his close personal chums IIRC) would see...

Forward the Glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky