Char-un

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:58:30 +1300 (NZDT)

Eric D. Hansen:

>I am curious about the Char-un, and would like to know where I can find
>out more about them.

Not much is written. The best information so far is given in the Glorantha Book which details the related culture of the Pentans and KoS which gives the related culture of the Grazers. The Char-un are known to be traditionalists (ie they don't herd cattle) but they are labelled Fake Sun Horses by the Grazers. However the mythology of the Pentans has been very confused since the Nights of Horrors and so the tribes are likely to have all sorts of different names for their spirits (ie the name of the horse goddess may vary from tribe to tribe). So very little concrete material exists.

>I am familiar with the "Char-un affairs and the
>Skyburn" chapter in Greg's History of the Lunar Empire, and would like
>to know if anyone has any idea what the khan Panishi's three tasks to
>appease the Erigian goddess Mother of the Forest after the Skyburn
>were.

I think given the traditional brutal nature of the Char-un, Khan Panishi has already captured the goddess (a savage raid deep into the forest before the Skyburn struck) and is trying to mollify her. I imagine these would be gifts of precious baubles, the composition of great songs about her beauty etc.