Sun Dome tactics

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:39:56 -0000

Lee R. Insley:
> Personally, the tactics I would employ with the Templars would be to try
> to break the center of the enemy (thus the military importance of the
> push shields contests/training) and cause a general rout before cavalry
> could encircle.
> I view the Templars as more of an offensive arm - similar to the Greek
> hoplites or Roman maniple rather than the Macedonian phalanx or Swiss
> pike square. The Roman's viewed cavalry as unreliable (they could
> easily run away) and placed all of their training and tactics into the
use of
> the infantry as the main shock arm. Since the Templars seem to use
> mercenary Nomads as their cavalry arm, I would assume that they would
> have similar attitudes.

If you are speaking about the Sun County temple in Prax, this is inconsistent. For centuries the most important enemies of the Templars have been mounted nomads. Since infantry doesn't fight offensively against cavalry (unless they had a lot of mobility, they would be unable to catch the nomads...), their only tactic would be to fight defensively. The conclusion is that they would be better off with Swiss-like square tactics then with Roman or Greek like offensive tactics.

> The important distinction is that the Swiss square formations were more
of
> a defensive formation.

Swiss pikemen used as much defensive as offensive tactics. That was their greatest asset. They would fight defensively against heavy cavalry and offensively against infantry and missiles.

> To the Sun Domer, a defensive action would seem cowardly IMO.

I would call it 'prudence' and 'tactical wisdom', not cowardice. If you think that to stay put wainting for the rhinos to charge against you, even if you have your pike in front of you is cowardice... I can tell you it isn't: In Portuguese bullfight we have what we call a 'pega de caras' (something like 'face to face grapple') where a group of men called 'forcados' have to block a charging bull formed in straight line. Even if  the bull is tired after the bullfight (which in Portuguese bullfight is against mounted 'toureiros' - in Spanish toreadores) and he loosed a lot of blood, it requires about 6 to 10 skilled men to stop him. And the lucky leaders of the forcados (the first man in the line) count on broken ribs the number of bulls they grappled. If you meet one of them, just tell him he is a coward for waiting still for the bull...

Best,

Sergio