Pole-Arms

From: joelsona_at_superman.cig.mot.com
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:57:30 -0600

M Anderson:
> Can some-one _please_ explain to me what the fascination is with polearms in
> RPGs????

     Not me. A Pole-arm has the advantages of whopping big damage and reach, coupled with the disadvantages of requiring a fair ammount of room (unusable in a tight melee) and lack of shield. It makes for a nasty formation, if your guys can keep in step. But not necesarrily better than shield and spear legionaires. It's really a matter of what kind of weapon you prefer.

>Does it really matter that much what shape the pole is that skewers an
> opponent as long as they don't get up again afterwards?

     Um, yes it does. Not to the guy dying, but to the guy wielding the polearm.   This Swiss started out using the aptly named Lucern Hammer, and switched over to the halberd somewhere along the line. I won't go into details as to the differences between two relatively similar weapons; suffice it to says that the Swiss seemed to think it was worthwhile switching....

Trotsky:
> I'm aware of that, Peter ;-). What I'm puzzled by is the idea that the Red
> Moon *looks* perpetually half over the city of Glamour and Silver Shadow *if*
> I understand the idea about the phase of the RM differing across the world
> correctly. It doesn't seem right to me for it never to be visibly full over
> the area which is said to be the centre of its power. I can only assume I've
> failed to grasp something... but what?

     You are missing the Black Orbiter. But that's okay, very few people in Glorantha know about it either. For more details, pick up a copy of the Glorantha
Con IV Conpendium when it comes out (hopefully Jan '98).

          Andrew Joelson
          Chairman, GC IV