Moon phases

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:07:25 +1300 (NZDT)

Trotsky:

[Trotsky's original question and my response snipped.]

>What I'm puzzled by is the idea that the Red
>Moon *looks* perpetually half over the city of Glamour and Silver Shadow *if*
>I understand the idea about the phase of the RM differing across the world
>correctly.

That is correct, although the Moon still appears to revolve (as it is only the phase that is moving) above there.

>It doesn't seem right to me for it never to be visibly full over
>the area which is said to be the centre of its power. I can only assume I've
>failed to grasp something... but what?

The 'what?' that you are failing to grasp is the 'Full Moon = Red Goddess at her most triumphant and our magics being most powerful' is an interpretation borne out of the foundation of the Temple of the Reaching Moon during the Wars against Sheng Seleris. Earlier belief seems to have revolved around the cyclism of the Red Moon (maybe the magic was at its most potent the more you could see of both sides?). Alas since the Restoration Era, such matters are considered unworthy of serious inquiry although certain people in Xaronea are known to have discussed the matter.

> While we're on the subject, I gather that Greg has decreed that the RM's
>apparent altitude in the sky does not vary with distance, i.e. you can't
>triangulate its height. But if it's overhead in one place and not overhead at
>another then by definition it's at a different apparent altitude in those two
>places (even if it's the same everywhere else).

Attempts to triangulate it yield different results depending on the place where you take it. This effect is most apparent when you attempt to measure it across the glowline. Materialists have posited, I'm sure, that the Red Moon is only a phantom.

The Cam:

>I was under the impression that the Moon *is* visibly full inside the
>Glowline.

Early sources do state this but then they also state that the Moon is only visible within the glowline. So Greg's thought it over and said the Moon has phases within the glowline and is visible outside but appears only on the horizon from the rest of glorantha.