Agimori & Zulus

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:33:30 -0800 (PST)

I normally stay out of the military debates, but I have to correct some odd notions about the zulus et.al.

Peter Metcalf:
> >IMG I've made the Agrimori peltasts instead. [...] This reduces the
> >discipline they need yet keeps them deadly. (Makes 'em more like the
> >Zulus too-I know the Zulus didn't use long spears) .
>
> The Zulus never had to cope with enemy cavalry and they could barely
> win against rifled infantrymen when the latter were fumbling with
> screwdrivers. The main problem the Agimori have to cope with is
> the nomad cavalry charge. If they scatter, they're doomed. If
> they equip themselves as peltasts (on the plains of prax), they're
> liable to scatter and thus doom themselves. But if they stand firm
> and present a row of points to the charging cavalry, the nomad animals
> (save the rhinos) are more likely to turn away than commit suicide.

The Nguni tribes from whom Shaka forged the zulu nation had indeed face cavalry in the form of the boers (and whipped them handily). Granted these were not an army by any means.

The zulus also often defeated the Brits and Boers - I believe that Peter might have seen Zulu Dawn a little to often.

In addition the pre-Shaka conflicts were faught with a long spear, basically two impis would face each other and throw long spears (essentially javelins) at each other until one side ran away. An assegai is a catch-all term meaning spear. One of Shaka's innovations was the introduction of the Iquiwa, or short stabbing spear (named onomatapoeically after the noise it made going in-and-out of somebody) and the tactics to use it. Battles got a lot bloodier after Dingaan and Shaka.

I see the Agimori as javelin and short-spear armed, capable of forming close formation and breaking into loose depending on the situation. Also unarmoured except for hide shields. I also like the idea that you use a diffferent hide shield depending on your status (or regiment). So the young men would use impala-hide, graduating up to bison (etc) and finaly rhino-hide shields.

I also believe that, as with the Morocanth, they use terrain to their advantage quite a bit. Yes, a group of Agimori surrounded by Rhinos or Bison on the velt are going to get trampled, or surrounded by Impala riders are going to get pincushinned. But I don't believe they would do that too often - add hills, dongas, some scrub and thorn-trees and things are very different.

The Agimori, as non-herders, also don't have much that the nomads would want - what would they bother to raid for?

Hamba Khale,
iDave
- --
Dave Pearton
pearton_at_u.washington.edu

Down he sank in a chair-ran his hands through his hair-	+
     And chanted in mimsiest tones			+
Words whose utter inanity proved his insanity,		+
     While he rattled a couple of bones.		+
							+
"The Hunting of the Snark" Lewis Carroll		+