Red Moon...

From: Erik Nolander <eriknolander_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:41:10 PST

Thanks for the answers to my somewhat daring question ;-) They certainly cleared som of the matters up.

Now, on to the Red Moon...

TTrotsksy wrote:
> What I'm puzzled by is the idea that the Red
>Moon *looks* perpetually half over the city of Glamour and Silver
Shadow *if*
>I understand the idea about the phase of the RM differing across the
world
>correctly. It doesn't seem right to me for it never to be visibly full
over
>the area which is said to be the centre of its power. I can only assume
I've
>failed to grasp something... but what?

I don't see why the Red Moon should be in constant "half-phase" over Glamour. That is not the impression I got from Nick's Searchlight theory. Let's just postulate that it IS Full over Glamour and its surroundings, because that makes the most sense.

> While we're on the subject, I gather that Greg has decreed that the
RM's
>apparent altitude in the sky does not vary with distance, i.e. you
can't
>triangulate its height. But if it's overhead in one place and not
overhead at
>another then by definition it's at a different apparent altitude in
those two
>places (even if it's the same everywhere else).

It certainly makes you wonder if the size of the Moon changes, or if it appears to be the same size everywhere outside the Glowline. Also, since it's (her?) position never changes, the Red Moon must be the best object to navigate by on Glorantha.

Cheers,
Erik Nolander