Historical Yinkini

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:12:05 +0000

A thought to add to the Cat debate. We do have what looks like a mention of Yinkin worship in Sartarite history.

KoS p 172 tells us about Onelisin, only daughter of Saronil, "who everyone calls the Cat-witch". Of Onelisin's daughter Minara, we are told that "indeed, she was an alynx".

Following the family tree down, we get Arene Thunderqueen (famous for commanding dinosaurs, not cats), and Yanioth Two-sight, who "ran down the red deer in the Dog-rat Vallley". A huntress might, perhaps, have a Cat connection, and could her second Sight be an enhanced sense of smell?

We also get some hints about this famous cat-dog antipathy. Minara is famous for being the "good one" of the three sisters who staunched the Wounds of Kostajor Wolf Champion. The other two seem to have, respectively, used "the wrong bandages"(?) and poisoned him. Minara apparently managed basic first aid without attempting murder at the same time.

BTW, if Alynxes are more like lions than tabbies, how well do they get on with the Basmoli?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/