Yelmali-spears, Red Moon

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:38:10 EST

Frank Rafaelson
>Or the Truespear spell for independent questers (why
>doesn't Yelmalio give this spell anyway?).

My off-the-cuff response, and perhaps MOB would care to step in here, is that _Yelmalio_ is more a good of pike-wielding soldiers than he is of spear carriers. I could be way off base here, though.

Erik Nolander
>It certainly makes you wonder if the size of the Moon changes, or if it
>appears to be the same size everywhere outside the Glowline. Also, since

>it's (her?) position never changes, the Red Moon must be the best object

>to navigate by on Glorantha.

The current idea is that the Red Moon appears the same size everywhere outside of the Glowline, whether you are in Fronela, Prax, or Pamaltela. Inside the Glowline, it appears to be somewhat larger -- I would suggest as large as the Sun, whereas outside the Glowline it is a bit smaller.

Graeme Willoughby
>[2] If you make some reasonable assumptions about the size of the Crater
>and the angular width of the Red Moon, you can estimate it's distance.
>I believe figure of about 1000km above Glamour is (within a hand wave)
>not unresonable. However I also believe that it's possible to climb a
>high mountain (8-12 km) and jump *down* onto the Moon - figure that out!

Early on in our work on Celestiology, Greg nixed this idea -- first of all, published sources state that the Red Moon has increased in size at least once during the History of the Lunar Empire (GRoY, Ivory edition). Secondly, and more importantly, the Red Moon is to some extent outside of the Inner World and part of the Hero Plane. As such, its size is in part a magical effect.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com