Mask and Mirror

From: Pasanen Panu <passo_at_students.cc.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:31:41 +0200 (EET)

> I thought that I'd expose my own theories of how the Red Moon rotates.
> We know it rotates because all the sources say so, but (as far as I can
> tell) its manner of rotation is never specified. the natural assumption
> is that it goes like a searchlight (very well
> illustrated on Nick Brooke's web page) and thus its axis of rotation is
> vertical.

 AFAIK, Red Moon does not rotate. She barely dances her dance of cycles,  to prove her theories to unbelievers. "With each dark moon her strenght  is renewed to be more powerful than ever...." How come that Mistress of  Illusion, also called the Mask and the Mirror, would do something as  boring as to rotate? The way you perceive her secrets and understand  her truths affects the way you see her. True Illuminates see her in  her full glory and agony, both at the same time. Others may see her  in cycles, those who are blessed to live in Silver Shadow see her black  side as a silvery one (just my idea), and are never in the dark nor  without her enlightening shine.

 Should she wish, everyone would see her at the same part of the cycle.  Or at a different. An orlanthi is asked, what phase the moon is in,  and the answer is: "Half-empty." Illuminate is asked the same thing, and  the answer is: "Half-full." It depends on the way you perceive her, IMO.  BTW: how would telmori see her? Or moon-demons? How does one see her  from Kralorela, Pamaltela or from Ygg's Isles? Those areas have never  been affected by her current form very much, AFAIK.

 Panu Pasanen.