Re: Shafting the sunny boys of Prax and Agimori Infantry

From: johnjmedway <jmedway_at_io.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:23:16 -0600

>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:26:20 -0500
>From: Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca (Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG)
>Subject: Oops and Agrimori Infantry

- -..
>>You may be thinking of Hypaspist which some believe were the
>>beginings of the Roman cohort. The Hypaspist were an elite Hoplite group
>>with lighter armor and shorter spears.

Who also fought in a more open formation than hoplites, and occasionally carried throwing spears/javelins in addition to the proper spears they carried, if I am not mistaken. Essentially they were a fusion of hoplite and peltast.

>>>IMG I've made the Agrimori peltasts instead. [...] This reduces the
>>>discipline they need yet keeps them deadly. (Makes 'em more
>>>like the Zulus too-I know the Zulus didn't use long spears) .

More like earlier Zulus who did, rather than Post-Shaka Zulus.

>All very true, however I stated (well I hope I stated) that the Agrimori
>are still armed with long spears so they can still present a unit of
>long spears against cavalry. I envision them as a sort of peltats cum
>long spear unit. This actually makes them fairly flexible and
>dangerous:

A.k.a. Hypaspist?

In part I can agree with that, but they still require more time together training than most nomadic cultures might support. They don't need to be in such large units, though, so maybe it's alright until you try to coordinate larger groups of 'em.

In the minis rules Rob Smith and I have been (seemingly forever) working on, the Agimori rate as a mix of three things:

	Irregular Auxilliaries (similar to Hypaspists & Roman Auxillia)
	Warriors (not as disciplined and more like Shaka's zulus in fighting
		style, though maybe equipped as above)
	Skirmishers (a.k.a. Psiloi for DBM folks)

In all cases, we rate 'em as Large and Fast and with Throwing Weapons. Gives 'em a slight edge in close action, noticeably better mobility, and also provides some serious shock potential on initial contact, though nothing better than harrassment v. archers.

>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 20:40:00 -0600 (CST)
>From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
>Subject: Re: Shafting the sunny boys of Prax
- -..
>I would expect that Sun Country would have worse problems, as they don't
>have any cavalry. Counting on your general always being a tactical,

Everybody else in the region makes and breaks temporary alliances, so why is it always assumed that the Sun County folks won't have cut a deal with Nomad Tribe X when fighting Nomad Tribe Y? That's where they can get some cavalry.

>All the successful armies that used chariots used them before stirrups.
>Stirrups make chariots obsolete. Basically, they are too big, cost too

Do the Praxians have stirrups? I'd definitely expect the westerners, and maybe the Pelorians, but the Praxians?