Fonrit

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:50:29 +1300 (NZDT)

Simon Bray:

> Dave Dunham raises the issue of AA and EWF in Pamaltela.

>I have been wondering about the city of Sarro in Fonrit, where the major
>deity is said to be Orlanth. I had been trying rationalise this deity as
>being a Fonritan air god, a umathelan import or even Keraun.

Umathelan imports are perfectly legitimate in Fonrit. The Gods of Glorantha Cults book (p13) mentions a 'Worlath' in the Temple of Tondiji in Kareeshtu (as well as the less believable 'Yelm' and 'Zorak Zoran'. IMO those names are translations of native gods). Worlath is one of the False Gods who destroyed the University of Yoranday in neighbouring Umathela.

>However if the
>EWF had visited Pamaltela then Sarro's Orlanth may actually be Orlanth. I
>would imagine that his worship would be very different to that in
>Genertela.

Surely it would be more similar if the EWF introduced it? The EWF Orlanthi would come straight from the Dragon's Mouth as opposed to being taught to the natives by the God Learners (as happened in Umathela).

>There is also the Prayer Ghetto in Garguna which is said to have
>temples to Genertelan gods as well as Pamaltelan ones. These deities
>may be a legacy of EWF contact.

But more probably a God Learner influence as Garguna was conquered several times by the Umathelans who worship Genertelan Gods (or variations thereof) as a result of their domination by the God Learners.

>There is also the issue of the God Learners
>progression being halted in Fonrit, perhaps EWF secrets were used to
>counter act the invaders. My only problem is that there is no apparent
>draconic influences remaining in the area.

IMO the lack of God Learner assimilation stems from:

  1. The population of Fonrit was too high and Fonrit was too far away for the God Learners to attempt an outright invasion. The Empire had more tempting targets closer to home (such as Brithos).
  2. The political organization of Fonrit was too diffuse to attempt a decapitation strike (a la Yanoor of Kralorela).
  3. The culture and magic used by the natives were too divergent for the God Learners to easily assimilate as the Fonritans used (IMO) a highly developed form of naturalistic magic. Some crossing over did occur as the natives did pick up some of the Sorcery of the God Learners. Unfortunately the culture and mentality of the natives meant that the sorcerers as such became an 'unclean' occupation rather than a powerful force capable of overthrowing the social order.
  4. The lack of any mythic or cultural openings for the God Learners to exploit. They couldn't hope to conquer Fonrit under the guise of liberating the Blues because the later were undoubtedly (in the view of the God Learners) degenerate Blue Vadeli whose wretched condition was the Just Punishment of the Invisible God. This is opposed to places like Umathela where the God Learners could pretend they were dealing with a mixed population of Orlanthi and Malkioni (a la British Israelitism) and teach them the proper ways which the natives had obviously forgotten.

So all the God Learners could do for was to control a few states and hope that the natives would see the God Learner way as the 'in' thing and convert. This was a long slow process and the Closing struck first.