Re: Shafting the sunny boys of Prax

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:54:05 -0600 (CST)

johnjmedway said

>Everybody else in the region makes and breaks temporary alliances, so why
>is it always assumed that the Sun County folks won't have cut a deal with
>Nomad Tribe X when fighting Nomad Tribe Y? That's where they can get some
>cavalry.

Sure, but it doesn't handle raids real well. Most of the raids are a clan or a couple of clans deciding that they feel like dropping in on a Sun Country village and removing all their excess belonging and women. They decide on day one, arrive on day three, have a small party for a few hours to a few days, then ride out, on day five at the latest. Unless you have a permanent force of tame praxians sitting around it is going to be damned hard to get any in a reasonable time. A couple hundred nomads with bows can do quite a number on an infantry force with inferior missle weapons.

My assumption is that the Lunars can provide some of the security now, as the Lunar cavalry is really tough. But what happened before the lunars were around, or if there are no handy Antelope Lancer troops hanging around?

Each Praxian clan is independant, respecting no central authority. So you cannot make a treaty with a tribe, but only with a clan. And they, at laest according to the "what my father told me" write up, will not honor any agreement with non-praxians if they can get away with it.

>Do the Praxians have stirrups? I'd definitely expect the westerners, and
>maybe the Pelorians, but the Praxians?

I believe that it has been stated that everyone has stirrups. It is one of those ideas that is blazingly obvious once someone sees it, so it would spread really fast. I am certain that the Pentans have them, as they are Mongol sort-of-analogs. Hence the Praxians should have them. I have always assumed that stirrups, buttons, pockets and such all exist everywhere, despite the anachronistic aspects of this. It makes life easier for me and the players.

Kevin