RQ rulesy questions: skills >100%, sorcery

From: Pekka Savola <pjsavol3_at_cc.hut.fi>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:40:47 +0200 (EET)

A few rulesy questions I have come across over a couple of weeks:
  1. Skills over 100%. According to the RQ3 manual (a Finnish translation, however - I hope it's that!) the maximum skill value you could have is 100% + the modifier + 6%. However, for example, the vampire in Sun County has attack/defense of 199/138 with one of his weapons. His attack and defense bonuses seem to be 13 and 11%. So, the maximum values should actually be 119/117.

Ok, there are obviously some rules for high-level campaigning, but I have never seen them. Could anyone relate them to me?

2) Just a few general notions about magic: Sorcery seems to be pretty powerless (at least in the beginning - the best characters I have played have never been even runelord -level) compared to, say, Spirit Magic (consider a good Bladesharp, Multimissile, etc.). Sorcery, however, seems to require tons of magic points to be of any use, and casting time besides. An example: let's say a PC wants to cast Poison or something to be done with a foe. He has to use at least 12-15 mp to intensify it or

else.. Anyway, he has to have enough free int, and what is more, he has to
be able to spend like lots of time unable to parry, dodge, move, attact,
etc.  That makes sorcerers pretty powerless in tight situations, IMO.
Anyway, even if he succeeded, he would be totally drained of magic points - - easy prey for any other magic-user.

I guess I have only failed to see something, but why does it look like you have to have 30 mp, enchanted protections of a long duration, etc. to be able to deal with a meanest thug?

Any help / www-pointers about these issues appreciated! :)