Fonritan Orlanth

From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:14:02 -0500

Fonrit

 I SAID:
>I have been wondering about the city of Sarro in Fonrit, where the major
>deity is said to be Orlanth. I had been trying rationalise this deity as
>being a Fonritan air god, a umathelan import or even Keraun.

 PETE SAID

- -Umathelan imports are perfectly legitimate in Fonrit.  The Gods of
- -Glorantha Cults book (p13) mentions a 'Worlath' in the Temple of
- -Tondiji in Kareeshtu (as well as the less believable 'Yelm' and
- -'Zorak Zoran'.  IMO those names are translations of native gods).
- -Worlath is one of the False Gods who destroyed the University of
- -Yoranday in neighbouring Umathela.

 I always thought that Worlath was one of the God Learner False Gods. He is not the Umathelan "Orlanth", that is Tyloque (according to Sandy/Greg). I thought that Worlath was an artificial construct that was forced upon the people. The God Learners were described as surprised when Worlath manifested REAL powers at Yoranday. I think that the antipathy between Umathela and Fonrit would hamper the existence of imported religions. I know that Umathela has ruled parts of Fonrit in the past and vice-versa, but I don't think that a nation always adopts the religion andculture of it conquerers. If this were the case then the God Learners would have dominated Fonrit easily.

 It defiantley isn't Keraun anyway, the Fonritans are marked as hating the Goddess of Typhoons in Elder Secrets.

 I SAID
>However if the
>EWF had visited Pamaltela then Sarro's Orlanth may actually be Orlanth. I
>would imagine that his worship would be very different to that in
>Genertela.

 PETE SAID

- -Surely it would be more similar if the EWF introduced it?  The
- -EWF Orlanthi would come straight from the Dragon's Mouth as
- -opposed to being taught to the natives by the God Learners (as
- -happened in Umathela).

 I was thinking about isolation from Genertela and other Orlanth cults as being cause of the differences in Sarro's Orlanth. It has been seperated from Genertelan contact since 955 ST due to the closing. Sarro is situated well behind the borders of Afadjann and Umathela. I think you may have a very different religion remaining. I think that Fonritan Orlanth has become associated with local deities in order to survive. He is married to Ernamola, not Ernalda (Hmm theres a coincidental spelling). I don't think Barntar is his son, instead it will be a local agricutural deity, adopted into the family etc. Sarro itself has become a ghoul ridden ruin, perhaps the souls of EWF members that became undead after the massacre of 1042 ST. The local leader in Sarro (C.1617) is known as the Jann of Thieves, I wonder if it was Orlanth Aventurous that was imported? In fact Sarro sounds much like Pavis and the Big Rubble in nature.

Cheers Simon