Sorcery, skills, etc

From: Richard Ohlson <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:30:57 -0500

Pekka said:

> A few rulesy questions I have come across over a couple of weeks:
>
> 1) Skills over 100%. A

I have never seen anybody worry about a skill going over 100%, for the following reasons. a) if your skill is 100, your chance to go up is either your skill minus your modifier, or roll a 00 if your modifier is negative. That means that if a player has a 107 skill, and a +3 modifier, he needs to roll 00 for the skill to go up. Good enough odds for me. And yes, there are (mostly NPC) characters with skills past 100, but they are usually EXTREMELY old. i.e vampires, sorcerers, dwarves.

> 2) Just a few general notions about magic: Sorcery seems to be pretty
> powerless (at least in the beginning -

Well, yes that's true. Low level sorcerers are pathetic. And even "powerful" sorcerers are next to useless in combat. But, when they get duration and intensity both to a half decent level (Say 50%) and have a lot of free int and magic points. (Say 15 free int and 30 mps) They can cast stuff like "Damage boost 10 for a week" And if they can cast it once a day, that means seven items that do +10 damage. A loner might use arrows; somebody else might boost up his friends.

Oh, and for very low intensity spells, they can cast them for, well, just about forever. For instance: Gee, the wizard has a 15 dex. Enhance Dex 1 for three years will change that to a 16. Enhance Strength might give 'em a damage modifier, etc. To be honest, the people I'd be scared of would be Western Wizards. The ones who worked up to a 90% Broadsword Attack before learning Damage Boost and enhance strength...

Oh, there are ways to enchant items to provide extra intensity. As a GM I'd recomend making them spell specific. For instance, "A short wooden wand with a matrix for the spell Form/Set wood, an intensity focus that provides 5 intensity, and a magic point storage matrix with 15 magic points." You know, so anybody can fix the big hole in the boat... :-)

Of course, since there are crystals for spirit magic, I suppose it isn't unreasonable have focusing crystals for sorcery, though that could get sick very fast. (Heh, like lettings somebody focus Blade Sharp 5 up to Blade Sharp 10 isn't sick enough...)

> Pekka Savola Pekka.Savola_at_hut.fi
> The Great Lord delighted in setting his servants one against
> each other, to see who was stronger. Only the strongest could
> stand near his glory. --Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

Excellent series of books, btw. I highly recomend them to anybody who likes to read.