Fonrit

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:45:37 EST

Peter answers me:
> 'Leader of the invasion of Pamaltela. He was influential
> in destroying Artmal. In Fonrit, he was conquered by
> Garangordos and his men, but this was only accomplished
> by freeing Ompalam.'
> ToTRM#8 p7

May I suggest that this is merely a way of stating that Garangordos and his men liberated Fonrit from some group of people who used sorcery, and thus were "worshipers" of Jraktal? After all, an early source once said that the God Learners were, by definition, worshipers of Lhankor Mhy, and I don't think anybody really believes that now, do they? The prophecy in Tales #8 was taken from unpublished sources which had sat at Chaosium unused since around the time of publication of RQ3. No need (in this case) to take them literally, I say.

>Not really (although I must confess to having thought in the
>past that the Sorcerers of Kalabar were God Learners on the
>account that the Fonritans thought the sorcerers evil). The
>pointer here is 'tortured the gods'. The God Learners either
>subjugated the gods into their monomyth or exterminated any
>that did not fit in their dispassionate Logical Wisdom.
>Torturing involves a different mindset, methinks.

I supposed it depends a lot on what you think is meant by torturing. For example, we know the God Learners used various questioning techniques on captured gods. One of them has been described as "riddling", though I don't think it had any relation to Nysalor, true. However, I imagine that some God Learners would have used possibly painful techniques to interrogate spirits who would not give the right answers (i.e., the ones the GLs wanted to hear).

I don't think we can completely discount the presence of GLs in Fonrit quite so quickly -- Kalabar does seem a possibility to me.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com