Questioning Rhinos

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:46:39 -0000

Now that the recent pikes issue I started is calming down, I would like to make some final comments before moving on to another issue.

First, all the discussion was very enlightning for me and the contributions were realy useful for my understanding of Sun COunty and nomad military tactics.
Yet I feel there was something missing: magic. The whole discussion was based on exactly the same RW permisses on what affects tactical solutions in similar circunstances. Since Glorantha is an highly magical world, I would assume that magic usage would affect eavily both the 'technology' at the disposition of the contenders and their tactics. How? It requires a careful analysis and experimentation with the spells at the disposition of the different groups. My hipotesis is that magic can change the picture dramaticaly.

Now to Rhinos

My question is: how does a Wastes and Prax rhino look like? AFAIK current RW rhinos are the survivors of a very ancient lineage of different species of rhinos with great variations both in size and features. Are Gloranthan rhinos like today's RW rhinos or are they like some extinct variant? Or are they completely different from any of present and past RW rhinos?

IMHO we could find two species of rhinos in Glorantha: - - 'Common' rhinos would be similar to african rhinos but they would have a shorter horn, and be more 'gentle'. These would be the basis of the rhino tribe 'cattle'.
The second species would be to common rhinos like RW fighting bulls are to cattle. They would be called Khan Rhinos, or Urox Rhinos, or Storm Bull rhinos, or Storm Rhinos, or even Bull Rhinos. Physicaly they would be smaller then RW rhinos but they would be stronger and more wild. They would have a bigher and more dangerous horn, they would be more agile and more intelligent. These would be the rhinos that nomad warriors would have to capture to use as their mount.

Comments?

Sergio