RE: The Glorantha Digest V5 #275

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:52:12 -0600

Steve Rennell:
>The Cults of Prax writeup of Yelmelio has a Gift of Mastery of a bow,
>and a skill called Kuschile horse Archery.

Lee Insley
>According to SC and ROC, Sun County does not maintain its own mounted
>fighting force. SC does state that they use bows in skirmisher
formations
>and utilize these against the nomads effectively.

The Kuschile Horse Archery skill is used by the Zebra tribe, many of whom also worship Yelmalio, though they are not part of the Sun Dome polity.

> would think the Yelmalions would be used by more people than just the
nomads. The Lunar empire could use them as >could the city of Pavis at various times in history.

        During most of the Sun Dome's history there hasn't been anyone around but the nomads to hire them. The Lunars don't use them much because they have their own military units stationed in Prax. Certainly the city of Pavis & the Sun Domers are natural allies.

Sergio
>Since Glorantha is an highly magical world, I would assume that magic
usage would affect eavily both the 'technology' at
>the disposition of the contenders and their tactics. How?

        You bet it would. Here is a big important way: throughout history, night attacks have been difficult and often disastrous for the attacker. The templars have special anti-dark spells and gifts -- Catseye and Sunbright, among others. Also, the magic effect of enchanted gold armor is that light spells last longer on it. In CoP, Ruric the templar rescues the hero during a night attack, and the cult of Yelmalio is one of survival during the darkness.

        I submit that the Sun Domers are expert in night attacks. Obviously they can fight during the day, too, but at night their special powers keep them from being hindered by the usual problems, and they are probably nearly as effective in the dark as are trolls. Certainly against the nomads they would be extremely powerful. An after-dark cavalry battle is always a nightmare, and clearly no mounted soldier is going to want to charge a foe in the dark. Thus, any fighting vs. the Sun Domers is vs. stationary cavalry instead of mounted. Yowza.

        Interestingly, there are a few groups that the Sun Domer night combat would not be so useful against -- notably baboons & newtlings (who have good night vision), morocanth (typically nocturnal), Agimori (lots of fire spells), etc. Note also that the Sun Dome special power in Nomad Gods is that they are doubled vs. "mounted" enemies. I submit that they are actually being doubled vs. "diurnal" enemies! It just so happens that most of the infantry in Prax & the Wastes are able to operate at night.

>how does a Wastes and Prax rhino look like?

        They are traditionally considered to be like the African White Rhino (two horns). I do not believe there are two rhino species in the Wastes. I know that there are several species of Pamaltelan rhinos, including the infamous Indricotherium.

        I expect to find jungle rhinos (like the one-horned Indian variety) in Fethlon. In fact, I fully expect to find rhino hsunchen there!

Lost Knight
>The blood of the Uz is probably made of something else than iron (for
the red globuls),

        Leaving aside the question of whether there are such things as Fe+ ions in Glorantha, I have always been of the opinion that troll blood is black, not red. (Which actually supports Emmanual's theory that they don't have hemoglobin.)

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #276