Rhinos

From: TTrotsky <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:13:23 EST

 Sergio:

<< My question is: how does a Wastes and Prax rhino look like? AFAIK current  RW rhinos are the survivors of a very ancient lineage of different species  of rhinos with great variations both in size and features. Are Gloranthan  rhinos like today's RW rhinos or are they like some extinct variant? Or are  they completely different from any of present and past RW rhinos?>>

     Drastic: Prax quotes the scientific name of the Praxian rhino as _Ceratotherium simum_. I don't know Steve's source for that, but if true, then the Praxian rhino is the same species as the present day 'White Rhino' of S and NE Africa. This makes sense, since it is the only rhino surviving today (and you're right that there were a much greater variety in the past) to prefer a more-or-less arid environment. It's one of the larger rhinos, pale grey in colour and relatively smooth-skinned for a rhino, with two large horns.

     IMO there are a variety of different rhinos in Pamaltela, a number of which represent forms extinct in the present day. Indeed, we know of one - the Baluchothere is in fact a very big, hornless, rhino.

 <<IMHO we could find two species of rhinos in Glorantha:

 Comments?>>

     Personally, while I agree that these two forms of rhino may well exist, I doubt they are separate species. The Praxians have been breeding rhinos for over 1500 years; in that time I think they could produce 'herding' and 'warrior' breeds. Agreed, this removes the fun idea of the young rhino warrior having to go out and tame a wild steed, but it seems as plausible as RW people breeding dogs for violence or cuddliness, say.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky