Iron and Fe and Uz

From: Emmanuel Ponette <eponette_at_africamuseum.be>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:15:23 +0200

Panu writes

>> a way to escape. On of them had an interesting idea : "why not poisoning
>> some food with iron and it to the Bad Uz?". And it made me think about what
>
> Just as workable as poisoning your human capturers with salt. They taste
> it... and Uz smell it. And how come anyone captured by Uz has any food?-)

It was just an idea (they had no iron at the first place)

>> is that in iron that make more damage on them? It cannot be just the iron
>> (the Fe atom) because Uz are rock eaters and there are a lot of rocks that
>> contains Fe atoms. And the blood of humanz contains Fe also. I thought that
>
> Oh.. I recall that Mostali _made_ iron for warfare. Also, some wargods
> bones were iron, if I recall it right.. they propably cheated some iron
> from the stupid midgets. Or offered protection or whatever. I have
> no idea how any ordinary human would have gotten any Iron into his
> blood in Glorantha, surely not from his food!

_made_ can mean _be able to extract from _ore_ and _wargod bones_ can mean _ore_!
you have iron in everything. In plants, in soil, in flesh,... IMG, biochemistry work the same and the need for oligoelement for humans (at least) is as big as in the RW

>> Chromium, aluminium of even lead!! and that the contact with iron causes a
>> blood poisoning particularly damaging. And that eating rocks or event pur
>> iron is not dangerous for Uz (as long as they don't have a cut in the
>> mouth) The rock stomach can easily digest the Fe atoms like any other
>> components of the rocks.
>
> Uz blood is made of uzblood stuff. That's it. It is propably lots of
> darker than human blood, and I believe the veins are deeper than human
> veins for the extreme cold climates uz so much love. There are certainly
> no _metals_ innit! Otherwise every adventurer would boil an uz he just
> killed for the precious pieces of metal. I don't want Praxians start
> boiling dead trolls for metal.

Try to boil human blood to extract the iron in it. Impossible!! Why do you thing it took so long before the iron age? because axtracting iron from iron ore is not easy if you don't know where to find this ore body, how this ore body looks like and if you don't know the processing of extraction. IMG, there is iron in the hemoglobine. If not in yours, then all my theory is not working.

>> seems a little bit to scientific for a Gloranthan creature but Uz are flesh
>> and blood like us, aren't they? Everything is of course IMHO. No flame
please.

> Uz consist of body (eat-matta) and uzpart (soul). Soul is made of some
> lead, spiderweb, and darkness. Eat-matta is mostly mud and stuff like
> that, just better tasting. For more info, check out Trollpak.
> There is somekind of creation myth there, too. No metals involved.

The myth existance doesn't mean that living things are not made of cells! and that cells aren(t made of molecules, made of atoms of which there is iron... Or may be I should know the definition of myth :)

The thing is that I am a geologist and I cannot imagine My Glorantha without rocks similar to those in the RW. The ecology of MG is similar to RW. Plants feed by sucking water with their roots and need oligo elements to live. Human blood in MG contains Fe atoms; and most of the rocks contains iron atoms. Therefore IMG Uz cannot smell or taste iron if in small concentration, and there "rock stomach" cann easily digest iron containing rocks. But pour some iron powder on a Uz wound, he will tell you anything... Like salt on a human wound (or vinegar).

Thanks Nick and James for your ideas!!

Lost Knight