RQ, Military prowess

From: Pasanen Panu <passo_at_students.cc.tut.fi>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 16:30:24 +0200 (EET)

 Peter Maranci:

> > Why keep a dead system alive at all costs, if it does not even serve
> > Gloranthan gaming in the best way? Is there anywhere a version of the
> > EPIC rules available?
> Believe it or not, there are some of us who prefer the RuneQuest
> rules system to the world of Glorantha. Were I forced to chose between the
> two, I'd pick RQ in a flash.

 Many comments have said, that RQ3 is unGloranthan. I just wanted to  say, that you do not need to have RQ3 for fun. I don't like it, newbie  players have hard time learning it, just like Glorantha.

> great world in the time of RQII, but picayune details and ever more
> esoteric arguments have sharply reduced its usefulness to those whose main
> goal is to have fun while roleplaying -- that is, without memorizing an

 True, true. And even Glorantha is great, I propably never will have  those aeons-old sourcebooks from RQ1 and RQ2.

> I've seen no examples of superior basic mechanics (though I'm keeping my
> mind open).

 First thing I did to RQ3 was changing the d100 system to d20 system,  but I did not pendragonize it in other ways. Makes sense to roll all  rolls with same dice, hits and hit locations. And with some weapons  and modifiers, you can even roll damage with d20 (s).

 Sandy:

(comparing RW warfare to Gloranthan)
> > Thats quite hard to believe, given the Kingdom of War's enthusiasm.
> And Alkothi are quite professional in that, too.
> either side, the best pre-gunpowder Earth armies would almost certainly
> trounce the best Gloranthan armies. Pf course, this would be an unfair
> fight, because the Gloranthan armies have all trained with the
> assumption that magic will be used. Also in general there is less
> military history passed down than on Earth. The Dutch military genius
> Maurice specifically emulated 1000-year-old Roman techniques to gain
> success in warfare. What advanced Gloranthan societies have any real
> connections to what was happening in the year 650 S.T.? None, in essence

 Hey! I can name a few that have access to old warfare data: Alkothi do,  if Enclosure is to be believed. Mostali do. Kralori could have.  Draconewts could have or not, dunno. Uz in Castle of Lead do have lots  of knowledge. Some praxian khan/shaman traditions are likely to have  mouth-to-mouth knowledge on warfare. Malkioni knights might have some,  too. Brithini certainly have.

> 1) The First-Age Theyalans. Different cultures cooperated and
> built up possibly the most glorious and influential society ever to have
> existed since Yelm's Golden Empire.
> 2) The Holy Country. The Pharaoh dispelled the dark ignorance of
> the Only Old One, and once the six kingdoms cooperated they were pretty
> impressive.
> 3) The Lunar Empire has been steadily combining the wisdom and
> lore of their conquered lands with their own peculiar outlook and look
> where it's got them!
> 4) At least part of the reason for the Kingdom of War's prowess
> is that they have achieved a synthesis of war gods.
> 5) Kralorela is currently fairly mighty -- probably because it
> has been able to exist as a single cooperative polity for almost 5
> centuries. Also the anti-communication effects of the Third Age have
> largely operated to isolate Kralorela, as opposed to dividing it up (as
> happened in Fronela & the East Isles).

 One common theme: all of those attempts at cooperation were destroyed  from outside. But I don't see why military history would be lost.  Any good general attempts to learn from enemies, IMHO.

 Panu Pasanen.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #279